- The FDA made OTC hearing aids a new category of regulated devices in October of 2022.
- OTC hearing aids have always existed, they are now simply regulated by the FDA.
- OTC hearing aids were formerly called PSAPS (Personal Sound Amplification Products).
- OTC hearing aids are the “reader glasses” version of hearing aids, intended for mild hearing loss.
- As hearing loss happens very slowly with age, there is great concern that people who have a more significant hearing loss are under-treating their hearing loss by using OTCs instead of prescription hearing aids.
PSAPs and Over the Counter Hearing Aids
Over the Counter Hearing Aids
Prescription Hearing Aids
- Prescription hearing aids are programmed via best practice Real-Ear-Measures, to verify the hearing aid outputs are correct for your specific hearing loss.
- Prescription hearing aids can be appropriate for a wide range of hearing losses and can be reprogrammed over time if someone’s hearing loss progresses.
- There are many tiers of prescription hearing aids, and entry-level prescription hearing aids are similar in price to the “higher quality” OTC devices.
- Our Doctors of Audiology recommend a baseline hearing test for anyone who has concerns about their hearing.
- In the results portion of the appointment, our doctors will explain your hearing loss type and degree and provide recommendations.
- Recommendations vary based on the hearing test results. Some people simply need communication strategies and are not yet a candidate for an OTC or prescription hearing aid. Some people have such severe hearing loss that they need to be referred for cochlear implant
testing. Our audiologists are exceptional at individualized patient care and finding the right solution for each person.
- If you purchase an OTC hearing aid, make sure to keep the receipt and know the trial period information, as from our experience the vast majority are returned within several months.
Take Action on Your Hearing
Hear From Our Patients
“Having been in healthcare for over 30 years and raising 5 children I have needed the care of dozens of Dr’s and healthcare offices. I have visited and consulted with Drs and staff in multiple states as a consultant and provider. Dr Egan and the staff at Now Hear This in Raleigh are superb! Her personal attention and caring attitude is a model for all Drs. I encourage anyone that reads this review to accept nothing but the best in healthcare. Be sure to visit her before making any decisions regarding you or your family’s hearing needs. Thanks for my great care!”
– Dr. Anthony DeLuke